I love black beans. I fell in love with them at a young age because of a dish from one of my favorite restaurants in Chicago, Wishbone. They make the most wonderful black bean cakes with your choice of a mango salsa or a roasted red pepper salsa (which is my favorite!). This meal was inspired by that dish and came together beautifully–what’s not to love about black bean cakes, mango salsa, a honey corn muffin, and a salad with dates and apples?
Black Bean Cakes
I didn’t really follow any sort of recipe for this one, so I can’t promise that the ingredients are precise, but feel free to adjust to your taste!
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
1 serrano pepper, minced (you might want to reduce this one–my dad and I like our food spicy)
A small handful of cilantro chopped up
Cumin to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Some flour for binding ability (could use your favorite gluten free flour!)
Cornmeal (for coating the cakes)
1) Preheat oven to a low temperature (such as 200).
2) Throw black beans (3/4 of can), chopped red bell pepper, seranno, green onions, cilantro, and spices into food processor. Blend until combined–but not soupy.
3) Hand mix in remaining black beans and flour and form small patties. Heat up a non-stick skillet with some canola oil.
4) Dip patties into cornmeal and saute until brown on each side. Place in oven to keep warm while cooking other patties.
5) Serve with homemade mango salsa or your favorite homemade or store-bought salsa. Enjoy!