Ever in need of a quick but delicious meal? I’ve got the answer for you–Penne alla Norma (Eggplant with Pasta). It’s super simple to make and really really tasty. And somewhat healthy for you (minus the fried eggplant part, but that makes it oh so yummy!)
1. Boil water for the pasta. Make sure to season it with salt!
2. Cube up some eggplant–keep the skin on, it adds fiber, texture, and a nice little crunch.
3. Heat up oil in a nonstick pan and once hot, cook the eggplant until it’s golden brown and delicious (GBD). Transfer eggplant to a plate with paper towels on it to drain the oil. Season with kosher salt and pepper.
4. To make the tomato sauce (yes it’s homemade and it’s super easy and quick!) saute some chopped onions in olive oil in a large saucepan. Once the onions are soften, add some finely minced garlic. (I don’t have a specific amount to use for either because I change it up depending on how I feel that day) Once the onions and garlic are cooked, add a large can of crushed tomatoes. Season with kosher salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and a touch of salt (but feel free to put other herbs in to taste!). Toss in some minced basil and the cooked eggplant right before serving!
6. Cook the pasta and drain.
7. Top the pasta with the eggplant sauce and top with cheese if desired–fresh parmesan and mozzarella are particularly tasty!
Eat and enjoy! You’ll get some veggies for the day and enjoy a sauce that will warm your soul. Sorry for the delay–didn’t have a camera cord!